Friday, December 16, 2011

Camille Chamoun

Camille Chamoun was President of Lebanon from 1952 - 1958. What I didn't know was that we had a connection to him. I'm not related to him, but he was my Grandfathers Geryas Salibi's lawyer and became a family friend.

As the story goes.....it was 1939 and there was a dispute in Souk El Gharb over a woman. A Syrian man had taken up with one of the local girls. Her family was against this and threats were made from all parties involved. There was also a bad element stirring the pot from both sides.

The Syrian came to the town centre armed with a knife and stabbed two men, one from Souk El Gharb and the other from Bekheshtay. The Syrian started shouting where are the brave men from the Salibi family, my grandfather was nearby. He took a walking stick from an old man and hit him across the arm disarming him of the knife, at the same time another man pulled a pistol out and shot the Syrian man.

During the investigation my Grandfather was questioned and not wanting to be involved denied he was in the town centre, but there was several witnesses that had sworn he was the one that disarmed the man with the knife. Because he had lied he was thrown in jail. The shooter fled and was hidden away from authorities for a few years before he was able to make his way to Africa.

My Grandfather was thrown in jail for 4 months before he was able to be released on bail. Investigations seem to take a while and in 1941 he again was thrown in jail when they reopened the investigation. He again spent a few months in jail. These were hard times on his young family as he was the only bread winner and had 3 children under 6 years old.

It finally made it to court and he was found innocent of all charges. I don't know what he was actually charged with as my Mum was only about 7 years old and cant remember. But my claim to fame is that Camille Chamoun got my Grandfather out of jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment