Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Picture Tells a Thousand Words.....

I while back I found a picture of my Great Great Uncle Peter Rashid (Sitti Jamilleh's Uncle) and his family, it was taken for a passport for their return to Michigan from Lebanon in 1923. He had left for America early in the 20th century settling in the Lansing area in Michigan. Here he met his wife Nora and they started a family. To my knowledge he only ever returned on 2 occasions, around 1920 and some time in the early 1950's.

I had already met a couple of his Grandchildren (They would be my first cousins twice removed) through Facebook, so I decided to post the picture in my Old Family Photos album and tagged my cousins.

Well just through tagging one of my cousins I ended up meeting several more. It was such a joy to meet them and everyone has been very kind with their time and knowledge about what they know about their Grandfather. I was also able to supply them with Zarka family tree's which was greatly appreciated.

I have come to the conclusion that sometimes its the little things that bring families together no matter how far they are apart or whether they have ever met.....

1 comment:

  1. Very cool how you trace your history so back. I would love to find out info about my family (who are my immediate family such as on my grandmothers side) in Australia, but I have a very useless father who doesn't even know his own grandpa's history. I try to ask him and always with no prevail, no interest in learning his own history. I even went recently to his birth village in Lebanon, no interest in knowing anything about it except a couple pictures.

    Michigan has a lot of Lebanese history from immigration. A lot of them went there because of the booming economy and to work in the car factories (General Motors, Chrysler) back in the day. You are lucky to be able to recant so much details from so far back. I always enjoyed looking at my grandparents photo albums from the 50s and 60s in Lebanon and am going to try to visit my grandmother soon (she lives in Windsor) to scan some of those pictures.

    ReplyDelete