Saturday, March 17, 2012

Finding New Cousins

In August last year I wrote about finding new family members. That post seems like a lifetime ago now as I seem to get into contact with close and distant cousins nearly every week.

I grew up here in Australia and never had any cousins around because my family was the only one that emigrated. We had some family friends from my Dads village Derdghaya but realistically at the time I didn't realise they were distant cousins.....you have to go back 4 generations to find the connection.

In the last month I have found that my fathers first cousins family live in Melbourne....I was quite shocked, I don't think my Dad even knows this. My parents came to Australia 41 years ago, but I think its been only in the last five years that they have moved to Melbourne. I now have a phone number and more contact and maybe a trip to Melbourne maybe in order.

I've also been able to contact more and more people from Derdghaya whose families have emigrated to America nearly a century ago. This sort of spins me out as they have been the ones that have wanted to know more and more information and have also been willing to provide me with what ever information they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment