Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Who is buried in the Church

I was watching TV and they were showing how in England some people were buried in the church there. They were usually clergy or rich villagers who paid for the right to be buried there as it was an honor.

This made me remember that my father had told me recently that there were burials in our village church St. Georges. Now the reason for the interest is that one of the original priests there would be one of my ancestral grandfathers and to be buried in the church would be a great honor and give me some bragging rights.

The other thing is that the current church was built in 1911 and they just recently celebrated the centenary of the church. Apparently there is access to lower levels that contain the previous incarnations of the church. I'm thinking this is where the burials are as I don't think they would be recent.

Maybe an archaeological approach on my next trip may be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment